Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Got a groovey thing goin'

The first time I ever heard the name (they have to be spoken without pause, written without space...for they may be two names, but are one person to me), I almost believed they were another comic-duo on television, like the likes of Laurel&Hardy, Tom&Jerry...to be frank, the two even looked the part...only to discover in them my first ever musical sweethearts...Simon&Garfunkel (and I bow down in reverence).
My generation would roughly be the one that grew up with the Backstreeters, thought Nirvana was so 'cool' (kool?) and swore they woke up to heavy Metal every morning (I did too!)...oh, and even Britney was around then (as she is now. Only then, she was a teen-ier sensation).

Confession:
a) I never found a single backstreet boy, 'cute'
b) I have never heard 'Smells like Teen Spirit'
c) and I could NEVER make sense of metal (I tried, though!)

What I did listen to (and consequently made sense of) were The Carpenters, Abba, Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, THE King (Presley, ofcourse), Cindy Lauper, Jim Reeves, Paul Anka...someone who sang 'L.A.International Airport'...and every song that came out of a tattered, old 1968 diary...Grandfather's Clock, Poor Old Joe, Top of the World, Barney O'Hea!, Seasons in the sun, Killing me Softly, Old Folks at Home, Something Stupid....The diary belongs to my mother, and the songs are my inheritance, so to say...along with a cake recipe, a hostel expenditure account, a timetable and tidbits of news items, dated 1975 (that's stuff for another post though)...

But one of the most precious find off those pages was...'Sounds of Silence'. Hello darkness, my old friend...still make my spine tingle...the first strum of the guitar...and those words...I've come to talk with you again...Oddly enough, I always (in a manner of speaking) thought 'Sounds...' was a Beatles song. Simon&Garfunkel were, to me, synonymous with - Mrs. Robinson, Boxer, Scarborough Fair, Bridge over Troubled Waters and (the less popular, though equally beautiful) Bright Eyes - but never their single most smashing hit! That was an orphaned entry on the yellow pages...people talking without speaking, people hearing without listening, people writing songs that voices never shared...till such time as I did not have google and wikipedia to enlighten me. Here's more of what wiki told me...the song was supposedly written in the "aftermath the assassination of J.F.Kennedy...as a way of capturing the emotional trauma felt by many Americans." Another interesting bit states, the song was "originally recorded as an acoustic piece for their [S&G] first album Wednesday Morning, 3 a.m."....and the album was declared a dud...leading the duo to their first split up. The song went on to become a hit in 1965, after Tom Wilson re-recorded it with electric guitar, bass and drums and released it as a single. I recently discovered a rather amusing version of the song, covered by (Bob) Dylan and (Paul) Simon...Dylan, growling and Simon bravely attempting to do the harmonies with him! Makes you appreciate Simon&Garfunkel (without pause, without spaces) all the more!

Anyway, trivia aside, what's so beautiful about the song is the haunting tenor that talks of, for me, a people snug in status quo, happily espousing the cause of antiquated traditions and neon gods...no one dared, disturb the sound of silence...of the human race that lies self-assured of its genius, yet writes its own doom every passing minute...in silence. The song is about us, the masses that go into the theatres to watch 'Rang de Basanti', clap and cheer and walk out feeling cleansed after the synthetically savoured catharsis...

I, for my part, think I absolve myself by writing socially critical blogs (bravo! bravo!). Thus can I sleep peacefully during the day. For, as in the words of me darlings...
I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail
Yes i would, if i could, i surely would
I'd rather be a hammer than a nail
Yes i would, if i only could, i surely would

Away, i'd rather sail away
Like a swan that's here and gone
A man gets tied up to the ground
He gives the world its saddest sound
Its saddest sound

I'd rather be a forest than a street
Yes i would, if i could, i surely would
I'd rather feel the earth beneath my feet
Yes i would, if i only could, i surely would.


7 comments:

Karthik Shekhar said...

A few days ago I stumbled upon Art Garfunkel's website. It contains the following page,

http://www.artgarfunkel.com/library.html

where he has meticulously documented each book he has read from 1968. The man is remarkably well read.

S&G feature among one of my favourite bands. In particular, I love the way their lyrics snugly fit into their music.

P.S: You write quite well :-)

Ankita said...

Ditto for confessions #1-#3.And I have a similar hostel diary,too.
Thanks for introducing me to the song here.

Took said...

@ Karthik: Visited the site...impressive...I'm a little suspicious, though...it's so darn meticulous (year, month, no. of pages), how come he hasn't mentioned the dates?!

I, for one, can't pick and choose between which aspect to love more...the lyrics, the vocals, the music, the nostalgia or the menfolk themselves...

Thanks again, for your appreciation!
double :-)

Took said...

@Ankita darling: We have such similar tastes...we should get married!

about keeping diaries...all great ppl keep one

for the song(s)...anytime!

aneesh said...

Well written..... S&G , without a doubt , exceedingly pleasurable to the ears...yet they wouldn't rank very near the top in the pantheons of the great poets in rock n roll.....
...As for "The Sounds..." , well rock n roll is a language of varying moods, expressions , at at times , stark contradictions.....
I for my part prefer to fall back upon the folowing....

When you were young
and your heart was an open book
You used to say live and let live
you know you did
you know you did
you know you did
But if this ever changin world
in which we live in
Makes you give in and cry
Say live and let die
Live and let die

Took said...

@The Doc: The post was not meant as a comparitive or even as an analysis (whether subjective or objective) of Paul and Art's work, with reference to the echelons of the gods of Rock n Roll...(I hardly know as much, so as to be able to attempt something of the sort)...this was merely indulgence...a bit of nostalgia and a bit of hypocrisy

Ankita said...

I can't see eggs-perience.